8/02/2007

What's for dinner? EEEeeewwWW!

The one thing(ya right, one thing) that makes me think I was not cut out for parenthood is DINNER! I actually like to cook, I just don't like to cook for my family. If I have a dinner party or something fun to cook for, I really love it. But dinner every night? Is cereal OK? Maybe it is the eeeww reaction that turns me off. When I do cook I try to cook healthy, yummy meals. I get the eeewww, not just from my children either. My husband(who shall remain nameless) (Laugh break sorry, sometimes I crack myself up) is the worst of all of them. Lately, he has been trying to save our marriage by just saying he's not hungry. But who does he think he's foolin? At least Chrispy likes my food. I like my food! So there's that.
Then, there is also the grocery shopping aspect of it all. Let's just say if I'm going shopping, I don't really want to be buying food. So I always put it off until our fridge is completely empty( except for mustard and salad dressing of course). I know, I need to plan. Well, have you met me? I don't plan! Yesterday we went to New Seasons for dinner. It is the most beautiful grocery store in the world, but when we got there I just could not spend $6 each for sandwiches for my kids. They wanted white bread, ham, and cheese. We actually had that in our empty fridge. (whole wheat bread though). So I ordered some wonderful stir-fry and drove home to make sands for the kids. They were not happy. I wasn't really happpy either. Tonight, I made myself go to the GS and pick up food for dinner( just one night) and I am making potato and corn chowder. All from scratch, corn cut off the cob, organic skim milk, beautiful yukon gold potatoes, leeks, procuttio, and all that good stuff. I have already gotten a couple of eeeewwww's. Maybe it's just that I am too stubborn to cook what they want( frozen corndogs and top ramen). My nameless huband's favorites are manwich and hamburger helper! Can someone please hamburger help me!!!!




Sorry for the little rant. I still love my life and all!!!

11 comments:

megan said...

ha ha! At least you can hope that your children will have a wide range of foods that they like when they are older. As for your husband, it is too late. Reuben only wishes that I was cooking more like you. Actually he wishes I was more like you all the time!

Darilyn said...

I love this post. Your dinner sounds so good. We should get together some people and do those premade meals again. And you would have to make that corn chowder. Let's get our husbands and kids together and they can eat hamburger helper and we can eat the good stuff. Well, we will let Makenzie eat with us because she would actually like it.

jaust.me said...

Ok, David and Lauren are in for the hamburger helper and Emma and I want some of the good stuff. I'm still laughing at your nameless husband. I went to the grocery store today, spent $100 and what did we have for dinner tonight? Swedish meatballs at IKEA. Also, when I went to put the hamburger in the outside freezer, there were the 2 pounds that I forgot I had. I could have been making spaghetti for days.

ducklips said...

Who is your husband again? His name suddenly slipped from my brain.

Ok, I can completely sympathize w/ you on the dinner thing. Kas is the worst at this house. Steve is actually good about eating everything, but I know he only likes it if he asks if there is any more.

One FHE I was sick of it so I brought 3x5 cards and had all of them put down 5 things they would like for dinner. Of course, I had veto power for things like top ramen. It actually worked out pretty well and I was surprised at some of the answers.
As for the nameless one, maybe you could let him know that the crap he like to eat is sometimes worse than the dirt that he uses gloves to avoid.

ducklips said...

Sorry about the rant. Your post I guess hit home a little too much.

Sheri said...

I have the same dilemna! I HATE making dinner! Ian will eat whatever I cook but still it's the whole planning, cooking and then the cleaning up!

Darilyn said...

Oh Yeah, I REALLY hate the cleaning up too!

megan said...

merilee your blogs are always such a hit!

mahina said...

so i'm not the only one that gets the eeewwww! it drives me to madness! cereal is ALWAYS a big success in our home. i love the nameless husband (you crack me up too!)

i'll come over and eat your food! and i won't even say eeewwww!

Emily said...

I constantly tell Ian that he is an absolute pleasure to cook for. He loves everything and thanks me profusely. His favorite is grilled salmon or dungeoness crab. Kid has expensive taste! You can borrow him sometime. LOL!

Bridget said...

I am SO with you! I absolutely hate dinner. Hate it! I am so happy to eat cereal every night. The problem is so are my kids so I rarely do anything nice.