8/18/2007

One not so ordinary night, there sat two men on a miniature davenport. One fellow enormous. Very tall and very plump. He wore figure-hugging jeans and a wide brimmed ranchers hat. He looked friendly and confident in the room, though I had never seen him there before. The other fellow was a peculiar sort. He, was also quite tall, but was incredibly lean. He was somewhat withdrawn and awkward. Yet, the way he peered out into the crowd, made me sense a dark introspective side. I wondered how this unlikely duo came together. Then as the waif became more uneasy I realized that they were not a pair, but merely thrown together by circumstance. They were strangers to each other, just as they were strangers to me.
The room was scattered with young sophisticated men and women, but you could feel the curiosity fill the crisp November air. The women were noticeably deciding if the two men were fetching enough to elicit an introduction. The men not quite fearing their current competition, but not willing to dismiss them all together.
After the evenings events, there were quick introductions made with the hollow-cheeked man. A request was made to meet again in the days following. The request was granted.
There was to be a large gathering of friends for laughter and sport. All of my favored friends and my most recent infatuations were in attendance, so I will admit my attention was turned away from the eager and highly competitive outsider. Over the next couple of weeks something strange began to take place. The newcomer became increasingly charming. I found myself wanting to listen in on his conversations, then going out of my way to arrange meetings I knew he would attend. Then to my surprise a young lady started accompanying him around town. This young lady was a true friend of mine, but at this time I rather wished she would disappear. Why you ask, would I be so cold hearted? Because I had fallen for the mysterious man with dark thoughtful eyes. I admired his physique, I was in awe of his manner, and started thoroughly appreciating his fashion. Clearly at this point my attraction wasn't much deeper than skin. Little did I know what was in store.
I had gained the knowledge that my new infatuation had a slight obsession with the big city, and planned on escaping to it that night. Unfortunately his usual companion was previously engaged, so he sought out a substitute. Naturally, yet bashfully I volunteered. By the time we arrived in the city it was quite late. It was a cool winter night and the city was aglow with holiday lights. It was beautiful and somehow euphoric. We strolled through the streets delighting in our labored exchange, but as the night went on the forced conversation turned fiery and flirtatious. Standing under the lights of the big city I was convinced I could never let him slip away.

8 comments:

Darilyn said...

And you say you can't write. Beautiful.

Tomallama said...

Aw! How sweet.

ducklips said...

Merilee it took me a couple paragraphs to realize that you were writing a true story. Don't think you are tricky. I stayed up too many nights talking w/ you after midnight.

I really never knew how well you wrote though. Odd.
I can't wait to read the rest of it.

Happy Anniversary again.

Sheri said...

I loved what you wrote. Happy Anniversary!

Emily said...

I thought Chris said you were supposed to take a break. Are you sneaking in blog time on your anniversary? You write beautifully, by the way.

Jodi said...

Love this...so romantic and beautifully written!

Bridget said...

Well written. Glad you two found each other. Happy anniversary is in order I suppose.

Marcy said...

You two make me sick!