4/26/2008

Service or Snow Boarding? That is my mormon movie title.




Yesterday I had the great pleasure of informing Mason that he could not go snow boarding with his dad because he needed to keep his commitment to help with the scouts service project (pulling weeds). He was not happy about this at all. I definitely was feeling the guilt of bad parenting. Not because he didn't get to go snow boarding but because he was throwing the biggest fit he has thrown in years and how could I have possibly raised such a spoiled little booger. I wont go into the details of the fit because I'm sure Mas would be incredibly embarrassed, but I was slightly disappointed that he couldn't immediately understand that he was a lucky little boy for getting to go boarding as often as he does and that service is more important. Then I had a flashback moment. I tried to imagine how I would have reacted to this kind of news at age 9. Let's just say I'm sure it wouldn't have been pretty. While Mason did have a hard time for a few minutes, he willingly got up early this morning to go pull weeds without one word (or nasty look) of irritation. I was very proud of him and just kept reminding myself that parenting is about teaching not overindulging. It was kind of hard though.

5 comments:

Elizabeth Dimit said...

Good for you and for Mason! You have the most adorable kids. You're right...it's definitely not about over-indulging. That is one of my biggest fears as a parent. You're doing a great job!

Aundrea said...

What a good mommy! It's not always easy, especially when they won't like you for a little while because of some lesson you had to teach them:)

Jodi said...

I always stress about over-indulging my kids. I want them to have enough but not too much...I guess it is a pretty fine line. I think you made the right decision especially if he has LOTS of opportunities to snowboard throughout the season. Kudos to you!

Sheri said...

We had a similar experience with Xander on Saturday. It was hard for me not to just cave - actually Ian was the strong one, not me :)

mahina said...

you're a good mom and don't let a fit from a nine year old make you feel any different! kids will be kids! they are all still trying to grow into the little people we know they will be someday! parenting IS hard! some days i hate it!